[FFmpeg-devel] url_exists function in avio.c opens instead of checking existence

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Thu Jan 21 12:29:36 CET 2010

On date Wednesday 2010-01-20 21:24:46 +0100, Maker aka Michele encoded:
> > if ((ret = url_check(file, w) != AVERROR(ENOENT))  // the file exists
> >    ask_for_overwrite_confirmation();
> >
> > uhm, yeah, may a function like "url_check" isn't really like url_exists,
> but should be more useful.
> But my opinion is that a file shouldn't be opened if we just want to know if
> it is writable/readable. So, what about extending URLProtocol with a pointer
> to function,  which checks if the url can be opened in a certain mode
> (specific for each protocol)?

(Quick reply as I'm pretty busy now)

1) implement url_check()

2) extend url_exist() with a simple if (url == "file") then stat(...);,
not elegant but it should work.

3) extend URLProtocol and make it implement an url_exist method() for
each protocol, this looks a little overkill to me.

I have no strong preference on these, so I'll let the decision to the
maintainers, in the meaningwhile you may provide a patch implementing
your favourite approach.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Faboulous Furious Monstrous Philosofic Explosive Guide