[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Abort in av_find_stream_info if decoding is needed and the decoder isn't found

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Wed Jan 27 16:59:11 CET 2010

Hi,

(didn't look at patch)

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Martin Storsj? <martin at martin.st> wrote:
> If has_codec_parameters indicates that the stream needs decoding, but
> try_decode_frame fails due to not being able to open the decoder, we could
> abort immediately, since we will never be able to open that decoder. (See
> the attached patch.)
>
> Is this a sensible thing to add? Or are there cases where codec_id could
> change during av_find_stream_info, so we shouldn't bail out immediately
> even if we can't find a decoder for the current codec_id?

Only if codec_id != CODEC_ID_NONE. For codec_id_none, we might not
know the codec yet. this can in particular happen for RTP streams (and
does in fact happen for RDT streams also).

Ronald