[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Bug Bounty

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos
Sat Jan 30 01:34:45 CET 2010

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni <at> gmx.at> writes:

> > encourages devs to create bugs and or not fix them until they are 24
> > months old.
>
> The 4500USD payments for SOC dont seem to draw people away from
> submitting patches for free.
> You suggest the 40Euro would have a stronger effect?

While I wanted to write something similar as compn, I believe you have a point
here;-)

More important imo:
Do you distinguish between bugs and feature requests in this proposal? I ask
because I originally set many actual feature requests that were opened as bugs
to "reproduced" and only lately started to change the type appropriately.

There are many older bug reports that are open/open (or even new/new) that were
clearly reproduced by developers (as one can see reading the posts concerning
the issue). I typically refrained from adding another message "Fixing Status".
Am I correct that you think it is not necessary that the issue was ever
officially reproduced, but that a patch was committed in the end and the issue
closed (which proofs that there was an issue and that the patch fixed it).
(Some issues are new or open because I can't say if they are valid or not.)

Apart from that, I agree with Vitor that we should raise the bounties from your
proposal. Additionally, we should already consider to set higher bounties for
some issues (H264 timestamps, VC1 interlaced if not chosen again) if some
developers agree that they are important.

Carl Eugen