[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2010 is coming

Alex Converse alex.converse
Sat Jan 30 11:20:10 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> GSoc2010 was recently announced on one of the google lists. I think
> it's time we do this right, so I'd like to start thinking about:
> - possible projects
> - getting students interested and get qualification tasks rolling
> - advertising our project
>
> I've set up a wiki page as usual, please post ideas there:
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_Of_Code_2010

Deviating from the trolly direction that the rest of this thread is on
a collision course for...

I would like to offer to mentor an MPEG Audio project. I'm thinking a
BSAC or MPEG surround decoder. I question the shape that the SLS
spec/refsoft is in. So between BSAC or MPEG Surround what would people
rather see?

BSAC is an alternate entropy and quantization scheme for AAC. It is
used in the wild by T-DMB.

MPEG Surround is a better multichannel scheme for MPEG audio. DivX has
talked about it but hasn't really moved forward with it. FhG is
somewhat pushing it but we all know that that doesn't always work out.
I think it has a lot of potential seeing as AAC's native multichannel
scheme really belongs in the special Olympics.