[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2010 is coming

compn tempn
Sat Jan 30 14:21:06 CET 2010

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:46:52 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 01:30:26AM -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>> Lastly, anyone working on ffmpeg who complaints about NIH syndrome and
>> reinventing the wheel is an absurd hypocrite.  ffmpeg's entire history
>> is filled with reinventions of the wheel: the native vorbis decoder
>> (and oh god, encoder), the native AAC encoder (why not fix the one
>> file with license problems in FAAC and make it better?), AMR-NB
>> (opencore already supports it), and so forth.  ffmpeg is covered with
>> capabilities, both major and minor, that were implemented first
>> somewhere else under a compatible license.  But since ffmpeg doesn't
>> like dependencies, we re-implement them.
>
>The difference is that ffmpeg is the multimedia framework where all these
>codecs, muxers and demuxers should be. its what ffmpeg is about ...

you are saying that instead of libvorbis being created, and then
everyone has to create a qt/python/perl/c++/vb/msvc frontend to make
mp32vorbis app. that libvorbis should just start out in ffmpeg
first. then current xxx2newcodec frontends will work, assuming they use
ffmpeg?

so ffmpeg is a wheel factory? and if you add a new mold (codec) then
everyone (on all os/cpu) can benefit by creating that special wheel?

-compn