[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2010 is coming

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jan 30 17:30:23 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 05:24:01PM +0100, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >> Given the overall number of formats in FFmpeg that's almost
> >> statistically insignificant :-).
> >> Also in some ways the vorbis encoder IIRC was also supposed to
> >> become a testbed for psy models.
> >> Also there's also a question: would we have been able to easily
> >> get those external libraries to work and be regularly tested like this:
> >> http://fate.multimedia.cx/
> >> I know how horribly about 90% of all projects fail when you try to
> >> use them on some unusual system - not to mention that (almost?) all those
> >> codecs gain from improving e.g. mathops.h, if they are separate libraries
> >> any such improvements would have to be ported first.
> >
> > also somewhat related, does anyone know a j2k decoder we could use so
> > we dont have to continue that NIH-soc-j2k effort?
> > it needs a LGPL&GPL compatible license, be written in C and be fast
> > enough for motion jpeg2k or at least be a reasonable basis for
> > optimizations
> >
> > [...]
> >

> Jasper and OpenJpeg are licence compliant.

i thought at least one of them was GPL incompatible but it seem thats not so
anymore

what about speed and features?

I wish the Xiph folks would stop pretending they've got something they
do not.  Somehow I fear this will remain a wish. -- M?ns Rullg?rd