[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] New library for shared non-generic libav* utils

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Fri Jul 9 15:54:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Stefano Sabatini
<stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> wrote:
[.. cut ..]
> This new lib will contain all code/utils which need to be shared
> between more libav* libs, and are not enough generic to deserve a
> place in libavutil, which is to be considered a collection of
> generic/non-multimedia-related utilities.

Disregard me if majority says otherwise, I just wanted to
bikesheddishly note that my personal humble opinion is that less libs
is good, so I'd not have any problems with media-related stuff going
into libavutil. I think the chance that people use a FFmpeg lib for
something unrelated to multimedia is relatively small and should not
be our main focus. Reminds me of not allowing media-specific stuff in
libgstreamer.so. It only causes headaches and distractions. There is
no practical advantage.

Ronald