[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] New library for shared non-generic libav* utils

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Jul 9 17:04:32 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 09:54:11AM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Stefano Sabatini
> <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> wrote:
> [.. cut ..]
> > This new lib will contain all code/utils which need to be shared
> > between more libav* libs, and are not enough generic to deserve a
> > place in libavutil, which is to be considered a collection of
> > generic/non-multimedia-related utilities.
>
> Disregard me if majority says otherwise, I just wanted to
> bikesheddishly note that my personal humble opinion is that less libs
> is good, so I'd not have any problems with media-related stuff going
> into libavutil. I think the chance that people use a FFmpeg lib for
> something unrelated to multimedia is relatively small and should not
> be our main focus. Reminds me of not allowing media-specific stuff in
> libgstreamer.so. It only causes headaches and distractions. There is
> no practical advantage.

as maintainer of libavutil i object. We can have a seperate lib for
common code. Iam not stopping people from having their common lib
which prior to libavfilter was libavcodec. But now due to libavfilter
not depending on libavcodec this is no longer possible.

But trying to kill my effort of a util lib is simply another thing that is
purely provocating. I spended alot of time on libavutil and its only
goal was to become a general utils lib not a trashcan of what
doesnt fit in the other libs due to dependancies.

Awnsering whenever a program halts or runs forever is
On a turing machine, in general impossible (turings halting problem).
On any real computer, always possible as a real computer has a finite number
of states N, and will either halt in less than N cycles or never halt.