[FFmpeg-devel] Patch to reduce compiler warnings in libavcodec/aac_adtstoasc_bsf.c

Paul Sterne make4ppc
Mon Jul 19 05:27:49 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 04:26:24PM -0700, Paul Sterne wrote:
> > What is supposed to be const about buf?  Not the pointer buf itself, but
> the
> > contents of what buf is pointed to?
> > If buf was to be copied to poutbuff, shouldn't it remain const?  If yes,
> > then poutbuf also needs to be const, and the routine should never need to
> > modify the contents of what is pointed to, whether by buf or by poutbuf.
>
> poutbuf must be av_free()ed in some cases, thus it cannot be const even if
> it
> sometimes is pointing to a const array
>
> Can you tell me the source file where the av_free is performed on a
variable also passed for poutbuf to aac_adtsasc_bsf ?

My version built OK and with fewer warnings and passed all regression tests.

There may be cases where a variable that is not const will need to be cast
as const in the call to aac_adtsasc_bsf to eliminate a compiler warning, but
it would remain non-const in the calling function.

Question... what is the purpose of using the -Wcast-qual compiler flag to
generate so many of those warning messages, but apparently not responding to
those messages over time?