[FFmpeg-devel] vdpau/vaapi/xvba

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Tue Jun 1 16:32:06 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 16:06 +0200, Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > That would be a difficult comparison, since they at that point target
> > different hardware.  My question was much more a case of "which api is
> > best" instead of "which implementation is best" or even "which
> > hardware is best".
>
> This still is not a correct question. What you need to tell is what you
> need to do. Developing an application, a driver? What HW do you target,
> etc.?
>
> VA-API:
> - Encoding support

Is this worth anything? In which use cases, if any, does it beat
software encoders? What I've read of hardware encoding implementations
before they've not been particularly useful.

> VDPAU:
> - Advanced de-interlacing features
> - Other post-processing features like sharpness

VDPAU also exposes video display features of NVIDIA cards that are not
accessible otherwise.

Overall the VDPAU API at least supports _more_ functionality than
VA-API. I'd also say that it's better for the functionality supported by
both, though I haven't looked at VA-API in detail. BTW is there any
better documentation for VA-API than the header files? VDPAU has
reasonably nice docs.