[FFmpeg-devel] [CHECKLIST] what is preventing us from switch to git

Måns Rullgård mans
Sat Jun 12 13:43:51 CEST 2010

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:37:17AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> I noticed that more and more people started to use git instead of svn to
>> contribute to ffmpeg, I'm wondering if the times are now mature to switch
>> to git.
>>
>> Could you please raise (again) your concerns about switching to git?
>
> personally i dont really care if we use svn,cvs or git the differences
> dont matter much in normal everyday development if one has a write account.
>
> a few points id like to raise though are that
> * a switch if it is done should not
>   be done during SOC to not burden the students unneccessarily

If/when we switch, we will obviously try to minimise the inconvenience
to developers.  If that means delaying until after gsoc, that's not a
problem.  We've been using svn for so long that a another few months
is no big deal.

> * It should be announced at least 2 weeks before its done so people
>   have a bit of time to get used to git and maybe to commit outstanding
>   changes from their svn checkout

I would recommend people to use git-svn for a bit and see how it feels.

> * We need to document, a short cheat sheet that lists the
>   git equivalents to the common svn commands (that of course before
>   a switch is done)

There are many such guides already written and available on the internet.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com