[FFmpeg-devel] [CHECKLIST] what is preventing us from switch to git

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Jun 12 21:52:52 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 03:21:58PM -0400, Alex Converse wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Mans Rullgard <mans at mansr.com> wrote:
> >>We could have a pre-commit hook which turns the commit message to a
> >>commit note, then every successive change to the message would only
> >>affect the note.
> >
> > I vehemently object to that ludicrous idea.
>
> I agree with Mans. VLC, x264, gnome, git itself, and the linux kernel
> all seem to get by without doing this.

Yes, and we got by with ignoring horrible commit messages for quite a
while too.
I have even seen some projects subscribe to the idea "take the commit
message for git from the email without modification no matter how bad".

> Git formatted patches as well as messages being written at commit time
> not at push time, should significantly lower the ratio of bad commit
> messages.

I doubt Michael will suddenly use the shift key due to that, for example.
Either way I'd like to remind everyone that this started out being
about _documenting_, obviously this is one case where we cannot just
give a "replace this svn with this git command" approach, neither
might we want to copy the method in the first best thing a internet
search comes up with.