[FFmpeg-devel] [patch] export pmt and pcr pids from mpegts demuxer

Mike Scheutzow mjs973
Sun Jun 20 14:41:11 CEST 2010

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 09:35:41AM -0400, Mike Scheutzow wrote:
>
>> Baptiste Coudurier wrote:

>>> It's the same as major brand from mp4.
>>>
>>> We are turning around here.
>>> Polluting AVStream/AVFormatContext with this format specific information
>>> seems ugly to me. We are not going to add a field for every value we want
>>> to export.
>>>
>>> So what do you propose ? Another field which is not called metadata ?
>>>
>> Michael,
>>
>> I agree with Baptiste that adding very format-specific fields to AVProgram
>> or AVStream makes the API more difficult to understand.
>>
>> Please give me a hint about an implementation that you would find
>> acceptable.
>>

> Please elaborate on how and for what they would be used:
> "iam not saying to put them in AVStream, actually iam not sure myself where
>  to put them, maybe you can elaborate a bit on the use cases of these fields?
>  Extending AVOptions to allow accessing demuxer specific contexts might be
>  an option maybe but then maybe not iam not sure."
>
> I cant make a suggestion if i dont know exactly what these fields would be
> used for. I can read the mpeg spec but that will take time

The scenerio is transcoding transport stream to transport stream.
I need the output stream to keep the same pid values as the input.
The FFmpeg library does not provide enough capability to accomplish this.
So the first step is to make the input side pmt/pcr pid values visible
to the application (i.e. this patch).
The next step is to improve the mpegts muxer to use app-supplied values.

I like the AVMetadata approach because it has the benefit that key=value
pairs can be set from the command line for the rare instances where
someone needs to do so.

--
Mike Scheutzow