[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] MinGW and shlibdir and pkg-config

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Mon Jun 21 12:33:25 CEST 2010

Hi all,

in these days I'm playing at compiling FFmpeg on Windows using MinGW.

One strangeness which I noticed is that the DLL install path is set by
default to the default bindir:

    mingw32*)
        target_os=mingw32
        LIBTARGET=i386
        if test $arch = x86_64; then
            disable need_memalign
            LIBTARGET=x64
        fi
        shlibdir_default="$bindir_default"

On the other hand in the generated pkg-config files the libdir is
always set to $libdir even when shared libs compilation is
enabled. Result is that when the FFmpeg DLLs are linked using the
pkg-config --libs flags the DLLs are not found (as they are installed
in $bindir rather than in $libdir, which is the path specified by the
.pc files).

Can you say why by default $bindir is used for installing the DLLs
rather than $libdir?

Also should the .pc files be fixed in order to make them point to the
correct location?

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Forgiving Fabulous Moronic Powerful Evangelical Gadget