[FFmpeg-devel] H.264 MVC

Peter Wimmer pwimmer
Fri Jun 25 14:00:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

I would like to do the H.264 Multi View Coding implementation to allow
playback of Blu-ray 3D format. Before I start, I want to ask if anybody is
already working on it or has submitted patches that implement parts of this
task.

My goal is to implement a MVC decoder for the Stereoscopic Player, which I
need quite urgently. FFmpeg is the obvious choice for such a project, thus
my interest to add MVC to FFmpeg.

I hope to get some suggestions and feedback from this list, because I'm
neighter familiar with FFmpeg nor with MVC yet. The issues I'm thing about
are:

1) How to handle the strange way MVC is implemented on Blu-ray 3D disks in
FFmpeg? You can either open two *.m2ts files, one contains the 2D version,
the other additional information to decode the second view. Or you open the
*.ssif file, which is an interleaved version of the *.m2ts files. The *.ssif
file and the *.m2ts files share the same physical sectors on the disk. It's
a trick on the file system level. All files are MPEG transport streams,
however, the 2D base stream and the stereo extension stream use different
PIDs.

2) How to get the Blu-ray 3D spec? It would be very helpful to have the spec
of the ssif format instead of reverse engineer or guess all the details. Can
anybody help (contact me offlist if you have access to the spec)?

3) How to output the second frame in libavcodec? Is there a recommended way
how to set a left/right flag on the decompressed frames?

Best regards,
Peter

3dtv.at
Peter Wimmer