[FFmpeg-devel] AVComponentDescriptor & v210

Daniel Kristjansson danielk
Sun Jun 27 03:17:37 CEST 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 02:39 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 06:49:59PM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > I've been trying to wrap my head around AVComponentDescriptor
> > and as far as I can tell it can not represent packed 10 bit
> > formats like v210.
<snip>
> its not a pixel format. Its a very poorly compressing codec.

I'm working with the Blackmagic DeckLink cards and this is
unfortunately the only frame buffer format that their hardware
supports when capturing VANC (for Captions and AFD data).
I convert it to 8-bit planar YUV 422 or 420 before doing
much work with it, but ideally I would like to do that in
swscale so others could benefit instead of in my own routines.

> > rather cumbersome. This is the Apple format for uncompressed 10-bit
> yes, apple

Heh, I'm no fan of Apple after trying to work with QuickTime
for the last three months. Their documentation leaves much to
be desired and they have their own terminology for everything.

-- Daniel