[FFmpeg-devel] Awakening of FFH264

Måns Rullgård mans
Mon Mar 22 18:58:42 CET 2010

"Kvikant, Christian" <kvide at scilla.tv> writes:

> A bit later than anticipated but here is a patch against r22635 that
> reintroduces FFH264 into FFmpeg.

Sorry, but what is the point of this?  There is already a fantastic,
open source H.264 encoder in x264.  As long as x264 continues to be
developed (and it is showing no signs of stagnation), this will never
catch up.

We re-implement things mainly when we can significantly improve upon
existing libraries, or when they are abandoned by their maintainers.
For example, our AAC decoder is orders of magnitude faster than faad.

I see an H.264 encoder in FFmpeg as nothing but a waste of time.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com