[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC Participation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Mar 27 21:15:05 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:30:45AM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Right, so I was wondering about that qualification task already. For
> > float mp3 decoder, your best bet is to go on to IRC and talk directly
> > to Alex, who will mentor that task.
>
> Correction, this would be Michael, according to the wiki.

i was already confused when you said alex mentors it, but he can
surely play the powerless figurehead mentor if he likes, you know
my dislike for googles "i agree" licences

back to the topic
a qual task for float support in the mpeg audio decoder would be to
convert dct32() as it is to float AND also implement dct32() in SSE
and by using our generic fft/dct code. We dont know which of these 3
would end up faster and this will be needed for the float mpeg audio
project anyway so its not really extra work.
(yes you should know a bit x86 asm for this project otherwise the
resulting code would not be competetive on modern desktop systems)
If you want anothet project suggestion that doesnt need x86 asm
knowledge and that is about optimization then that would be h264
optimizations but thats not a easy one either ...)

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus