[FFmpeg-devel] change installation directory for ffpresets

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sat May 15 22:01:52 CEST 2010

On date Saturday 2010-05-15 21:44:01 +0200, Reinhard Tartler encoded:
> hi,
>
> currently, the ffpresets are installed in ${prefix}/share/ffmpeg. I
> propose this to be changed to ${prefix}/share/libavcodec${major}.
>
> Rationale: The ffpresets (currently) contain only presets that are
> useful for libx264. When distributing FFmpeg in binary packages the
> packager needs to decide in which package these presets need to end up
> with. In Debian, I used to ship then in the 'ffmpeg' package. During a
> discussion with Jason, we agreed to move them to libavcodec52, because
> these presets very badly need to be in sync with the libx264 wrapper.
> This is easiest implemented with putting the presets in the libavcodec
> package.

Presets are parsed and processed by ffmpeg the binary, shipping them
with libavcodec looks a very bad idea (TM).

Since presets files are processed by ffmpeg they need to depend on the
ffmpeg version. For example we could decide to change the presets
syntax, this would merely depend on the revnumber, and nothing on the
library numbers.

> The trouble is now that this will create a file conflict when
> libavcodec53 is introduced. In order to prevent this, I can either a)
> move them back to the ffmpeg package and use a much stricter dependency
> on the libavcodec binary package or b), have the presets installed in
> /usr/share/libavcodec${major}. This makes it possible to have different
> ffpresets installed for libavcodec versions with different major
> versions.
>
> As I feel b) is much more elegant, and datadir is currently used for
> nothing else, I'm proposing the following patch:

a) seems the only sane solution to me, just my two ?cents.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fabulous and Faithless Multipurpose Purposeless Elaborated Game