[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Internal API updating policy

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sun May 16 00:25:24 CEST 2010

On date Sunday 2010-05-16 00:21:05 +0300, Uoti Urpala encoded:
> On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 22:47 +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > I propose to follow these rules:
> >
> > * bump minor/micro number when adding an internal or public symbol,
> >   renaming one of them, or changing the order of parameters of an
> >   internal function
> >
> > * bump the minor/micro number of a library when it starts to depend on
> >   a symbol defined in another (internal) library, or that symbol
> >   changed (e.g. it was renamed or the corresponding function changed
> >   signature).
> >
> > This should help to track the internal libraries dependencies
> > (e.g. lavc-X.Y.Z depends on lavu >= A.B.C and lsws >= D.E.F).
>
> This is not enough to make things really work. See
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2010-January/081635.html
>
> Changes to "internal" symbols used by other FFmpeg libraries require a
> major version bump and soname change, at least if the dependency already
> existed in a previous major version of the depending library and the
> depended-on library has not changed soname later.
>
> > If an internal symbol is renamed at lavc X.Y.Z, and lavf uses that
> > symbol, then the minor/micro of lavf should be bumped and we would
> > have the dependency:
> > lavf A.B.C depends on lavc >= X.Y.Z
>
> This is the part that of your suggested rules that can fail. Suppose
> lavf major version 1 already uses that symbol, and current lavf version
> is 2. Both use lavc version 1. Having both lavf1 and lavf2 installed
> simultaneously must be possible. You can't update lavf1 because there
> are no newer versions of it, and it would be incompatible with the
> changed lavc, so it must depend on lavc1 < X.Y.Z. OTOH lavf would depend
> on lavc1 >= X.Y.Z. Therefore the version of lavc1 installed would need
> to satisfy both that the version is < X.Y.Z and >= X.Y.Z. This is
> impossible, so package version constraints aren't enough and a major
> lavc version bump is required.

That's because you cannot have two different shared libraries with the
same major right? If it would be possible to keep two distinct
libavcodecX.Y.Z and libavcodecX.Y.Z' and make libavformatN and
libavformatM link against the right one then the problem wouldn't
exist, right?

> > Another good idea would be to document such dependencies in
> > APIchanges, thus simplifing distro packagers work.
> >
> > As for what regards applications depending on the internal API, I
> > don't think there is some way to avoid their breakage and they should
> > really avoid that sort of dependencies (and possibly collaborate with
> > us if they really think the API they're using should be made public),
> > but having such a system for tracking the internal API changes should
> > help the packagers to define their dependencies with the FFmpeg
> > libraries.
>
> I agree with the application part, and have changed MPlayer in git to
> only use public symbols by default. But it's important to realize that
> the current versioning/dependency handling _within FFmpeg_ is not fully
> safe whatever applications do.

Well having such a system should help at least for distribution when
just one version of each shared library needs to be present, at least
should help to increase the awarenees of such issues.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Faithless Fast Meaningful Problematic Enhancing Game