[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Internal API updating policy

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun May 16 12:36:09 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:47:25PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I propose to follow these rules:
>
> * bump minor/micro number when adding an internal or public symbol,
>   renaming one of them, or changing the order of parameters of an
>   internal function
>
> * bump the minor/micro number of a library when it starts to depend on
>   a symbol defined in another (internal) library, or that symbol
>   changed (e.g. it was renamed or the corresponding function changed
>   signature).

there are public and there are private things.
changing public things in an incompatible way needs a major version
bump.
If they are internal (or not) within 2 libav libraries doesnt really change
this

I wish the Xiph folks would stop pretending they've got something they
do not.  Somehow I fear this will remain a wish. -- M?ns Rullg?rd