[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffserver stream checks

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Thu May 20 16:09:33 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Howard Chu <hyc at highlandsun.com> wrote:
> I'd like to be able to treat the ffserver config as more of a template, and
> allow the ffmpeg commandline to override some of the settings, or at least
> fill in missing ones. Currently it looks like whatever ffmpeg receives from
> ffserver completely replaces all of ffmpeg's option settings. Suggestions?

I think that's intentional, if you check ffmpeg.c there's specific
code for that. It would be weird to do otherwise because you'd have a
conflict or confusion for the user:
- what if ffserver.conf specifies bitrate=X and ffmpeg's commandline
options specify bitrate=Y, where X!=Y? Right now it's clearly defined
that ffserver.conf takes precedence.
- both ffserver.conf and ffmpeg have bitrate options. Which one should
the user use to specify bitrate? Right now it's clearly defined that
it's ffserver.conf for this particular case.

I'm not against allowing ffmpeg to override certain ffserver settings
if there is a clear demand for that, but please mae sure that it
doesn't become confusing or conflicting for the user.

Ronald