[FFmpeg-devel] CBR Bitrate control in MPEG-2 video encoder

Sven Brandau wasisnlos
Tue May 25 22:40:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've tried to encode a very unpredictable and varying video to MPEG-2
video in CBR. It seems that the encoder can't regulate the bitrate so
there are spikes where the scenes changes very fast. I would expect that
the encoder is able to control all parameters, e.g. quantizer, to fit
the bitrate without such spikes but a very low video quality on such
scene changes.

I've set these parameters: bitrate, max/min bitrate, vbv buffer

Any suggestions?