[FFmpeg-devel] A patch to fix buffer overflow when decoding h264

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri May 28 16:01:29 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 03:10:12PM +0300, Antti Nietosvaara wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 03:34:38PM +0300, Antti Nietosvaara wrote:
>>
>>> I was experiencing crashes when decoding certain h264 videos
>>> (unfortunately it is quite hard to extract the problematic stream for
>>> replication, since its in proprietary DVR format).
>>> It seems that s->mb_height can change in decode_slice_header after
>>> alloc_tables has been called for the current context, which causes
>>> overflows later. Hopefully this behaviour can be confirmed without a
>>> sample stream.
>>> I have attached a patch that reallocates the tables if mb_width or
>>> mb_height change.
>>>

>> what is changing mb_height without changing height?
>>

>> [...]
> I dug a little deeper and I may have found a reason for the crash on our
> software. Before decompressing the frame I set AVCodecContext's width and
> height to values that the frame should have been compressed to. This seems
> to end up crashing the program later on.
> I suppose altering AVCodecContext::width and height outside libavcodec is
> not using the library as intended, and as such, this patch is probably
> useless.

yes, if this can only occur if a application messes with width/height after
init/open() then its an application bug.

> If you are interested in replicating the crash anyway, I could slap
> together a small C program that does just that.

not needed

In a rich man's house there is no place to spit but his face.
-- Diogenes of Sinope