[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Releases

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon May 31 00:12:50 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 11:15:41PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> I think we should do releases more often than we did historically or
> not at all. Otherwise everyone will use very outdated ffmpeg&libav*

I can understand that you want to see people use the latest and greatest,
but for some strange reason people just have their own priorities that
are at odds with yours/ours.

You can try to change people, but ultimately it is futile.  They will do
whatever they do anyway - and yes, I learned this the hard way.

That said, more releases mean more work.  It's as simple as that.

Now I'm very happy that I managed to recruit Reinhard to help with
releases, but our two person release team is still understaffed.
On top of that 0.6 is considerably more work than 0.5 was.

I don't have enough time to make even 3-monthly releases...

Diego