[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] disallow svn propedit in the svn repo to make switching to git easier

Janne Grunau janne-ffmpeg
Mon Nov 1 09:09:23 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 12:05:28AM -0700, Alex Converse wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Janne Grunau <janne-ffmpeg at jannau.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the rewriting of commit messages is incomplatible with git. Each time a
> > commit message is rewritten the entire svn repo has to be reimported.
> >
> > If we want a slow migration to git disallowing propedits in the svn repo
> > which is a simple hook script change would allow to create stable git
> > repository which can be used after the full migration.
> >

> How close are we to the full migration?

if we ignore the 0.5/0.6 release branches (which can stay in svn), very
close. My scripts seem to work fine. Fixing author information for all
commits with "patch by" is reasonably complete.

The rewritten trees are stable and I've tried to compile a several very
old revisions around the manual tree fixes. Not all compiled fine but the
errors weren't related to the fixes but what you get if you try to build
sources from several years ago on a current system.

> > Creating the git repo with all currently rewritten commit messages is one
> > of the things missing in my repo. The other two is the handling of the
> > 0.5 and 0.6 release branches and the handling of all committer email
> > addresses. I have them all. if we decide to use them I just have to
> > change one shell functon. They are here if anyone cares to review them:
> > http://git.jannau.net/git/FFmpeg.git.convert/tree/map_commitid.sh
> >

> I think committer email addresses are a very good thing.

me too

Janne