[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] disallow svn propedit in the svn repo to make switching to git easier

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Nov 2 12:49:53 CET 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:15:05PM +0100, Janne Grunau wrote:

> the rewriting of commit messages is incomplatible with git. Each time a
> commit message is rewritten the entire svn repo has to be reimported.

Rewriting commit messages is Subersion's single most distinctive feature.

Shut up and bite your tongues, trolls.

If whatever you are using chokes on it, Subversion is not to blame.  That
said, I do not care.

Also - away, trolls, you have bridges to patrol.

> If we want a slow migration to git disallowing propedits in the svn repo
> which is a simple hook script change would allow to create stable git
> repository which can be used after the full migration.

Forget about slow migration, this is impossible.  Do it the same we did
with svn: On day X, svn is set read-only, git is turned on.

> Creating the git repo with all currently rewritten commit messages is one
> of the things missing in my repo. The other two is the handling of the
> 0.5 and 0.6 release branches

What, no release branches?

> and the handling of all committer email
> addresses. I have them all. if we decide to use them I just have to
> change one shell functon. They are here if anyone cares to review them:
> http://git.jannau.net/git/FFmpeg.git.convert/tree/map_commitid.sh

You can put my name in there.

Diego