[FFmpeg-devel] [GIT] ready by the weekend

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Nov 17 20:10:20 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 08:02:21PM +0100, Rafa?l Carr? wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 19:21:41 +0100
> Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Else those who did pull will have to reset their tree to the
> > > previous commit and pull again
> >
> > And describing what can go wrong and when and how you have to do such
> > a thing is particularly important, since this does affect not only
> > developers but also end-users which we can't expect to have more
> > than a basic understanding.
>
> I'm not sure if it's possible to make a list of everything that could
> go wrong.
> Just don't panic and ask for help if something weird arises.
> git should warn you if you try to do bad things (tm) on the server
> you're pushing to, and as long as the main repository is consistent,
> end-users will be able to pull from it.
>

> Some useful resources:

Look, I know you try to be nice and helpful, thanks, but the problem
is not to find that information, the point is to have all the most
important stuff and everything FFmpeg-specific (especially policy-like
stuff like when/if to use push -f) in a concise form,
in one place, and that all current FFmpeg developers will trivially
and quickly be able to find - even if they haven't been active the last few months.