[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libmpcodecs libavfilter wrapper?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Nov 28 02:46:21 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 05:08:50PM -0800, Alex Converse wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 03:02:12PM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > To port, or to wrap?
> >
> > Anything that allows us to use >=90% of the libmpcodec filters in libavfilter
> > implementation should be completely up to arpi to decide
> >

> I'm uncomfortable with the idea of all this money being blown on a
> wrapper. I also think if money is to be spent on this we should look
> into porting filters from LGPL sources (e.g. gstreamer) or pay off the
> copyright holders to LGPL the mplayer filters. I don't think it's
> particularly helpful to have an LGPL filter framework with all its
> actual functionality requiring the GPL.

Foremost, performance matters, the filters must be fast and well implemented.
This is true for many (though of course not all) filters in mplayer.
I dont know the filters from gstreamer. Personally i have no interrest in
picking inferrior code (if it is inferior) just because the other has another
FOSS license.
Either way a wraper for both filter frameworks is a good idea.

It is not what we do, but why we do it that matters.