[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-devel-irc] IRC log for 2010-09-30

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Oct 1 20:10:16 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 09:46:52AM -0700, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> >> Fixing a forgotten #include is hardly controversial.
> >
> > its not forgotten its unneeded and i said so
> > common.h includes several headers and these do not need to be included
> > everywhere.
> > But that was just one commit, there was the 1->3rd person change (full of
> > bugs due to the automated replacing you did) never approved by anyone and
> > never posted for review. and the removial of part of the symbol versioning
> > documentation against the explicit wish of the maintainer. And thats just
> > what i remembetr atm.
> > not to mention threatening people with closing their accounts and closing
> > jasons account.
>
> Just because Mans does stupid things doesn't exempt you from public
> discussion of your patches before they are committed.

no but IMHO this change didnt need more public discussion
The assert issues have been discussed a long time ago with IIRC very low
interrest by people, this also means the basic design has been discussed
previously and there was noone against ...
and it was changes to code i maintain (libavutil) and i had and have no reason
to belive anything of it being controversal. And in such cases "the rules"
say commit without patch is ok, this has always been done that way, the
maintainers can change their code without patches if theres no reason
for them to belive that anything is controversal.

Awnsering whenever a program halts or runs forever is
On a turing machine, in general impossible (turings halting problem).
On any real computer, always possible as a real computer has a finite number
of states N, and will either halt in less than N cycles or never halt.