[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] FFmpeg leader

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Oct 2 17:55:07 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 05:13:02PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 01:50:09AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
> > >
> > > due to the growing disagreements between root at mphq and me, i and at least one
> > > of the roots as well believe a vote about my position should be held.
> > > Every developer with svn write account as of 1. october 2010 is allowed to
> > > vote. The vote will end at 8. oct 0:01 UTC 2010.
> > >
> > > Please vote either
> > > A. I trust michael and wish him to continue to lead the ffmpeg project
> > > B. I distrust michael and wish him to step back
> > >
> > > Iam not sure if this should be a absolute or relative majority based vote
> > > but i will probably step back if either majority against me is reached.
> >
> > I object to the person subject of the vote choosing the alternatives.
>
> I agree this is a problem.

I see your point but while the community should choose the alternatives
available, it should not be forgotten that this is about humans not technical
decissions and the community cannot arbitrarily order people around.

That is I can continue as leader and surely we can adapt the policy if needed
Or i can step back and leave it to others to decide where ffmpeg-main goes from
there on.
But if the community would decide to vote for some structure in which i
feel incapable of continueing to lead the project then i would not do it
but rather step back

> It's also not clear what would happen if B were chosen.  Would Michael
> go away and leave the project?  This sounds like a choice between my
> way or the highway.

I dont know what i would do after steping back in case B

> Maybe other alternatives need to be explored.  FFmpeg does not need to
> be lead by one person.  We can have a structure similar to the board
> of directors that we have for the FFmtech foundation.

I will not participate in such leader-team, as such teams whereever i have seen
them in technical projects led to disaster. xine comes to mind
and your skills in managing projects ive seen in mplayer so the idea of
you suggesting to change ffmpegs leadership scares me
ffmpeg needs a single leader, be that me or someone else.

In that sense, as a team leading ffmpeg implies me steping back i guess you
can continue with this vote and vote for me steping back.

Avoid a single point of failure, be that a person or equipment.