[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Add exported global variables to import libraries for WIN32

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Oct 6 03:13:09 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 04:39:39PM +0200, Tomas H?rdin wrote:
> Hi
>
> About two months ago I posted a thread
> (https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2010-July/092654.html) regarding importing the global constants libav* export in MSVC (link.exe). Eventually I figured out that importing the globals rather than adding a function would be a better solution. I went with a __declspec(dllimport) solution, which looked OK until M?ns asked whether it'd work on static builds. It didn't.
>
> After discussing it on IRC we figured out that it can't be solved in the
> headers since both static and dynamic libraries might be built at the
> same time. It seems that what needs to be done is have the generated

building them at the same time implicates that PIC will be used for static
libs in some cases while it otherwise would not?

If yes then this feature is really retarded as it causes performance loss and
likely without the user realizing it.

Asymptotically faster algorithms should always be preferred if you have
asymptotical amounts of data