[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Some ideas for roundup

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sat Oct 9 11:52:10 CEST 2010

Hi all,

here there are some ideas I have in mind since some time which I'd
like to apply to roundup soon or later.

* per-issue tagging
  This may be useful for categorizing the issues per type,
  e.g. licensing related issues, ffplay related issues, libavformat
  related issues, crash related isssues and so on.

* level of difficulty of the issue
  Many bugs are trivial to fix, and may be an ideal task for wannabee
  contributors (think at it like a sort of "FFmpeg love" tasks).  Also
  the "estimated" level of difficulty may be useful for funding issue
  resolutions, which may be related to the time of the issue and to
  the level of difficulty.
  Note that this item may be merged with the per-issue tags, since the
  level of difficulty may be implemented as a set of tags.

* per-issue funding
  It should be possible for an user to fund the resolution of an
  issue. The money may be devolved to the fondation and re-imbursed to
  the donor if the issue is not fixed in some variable amount of
  time. The money may be assigned to the fixer and in part to the
  foundation (e.g. 80% to the fixer and 20% to the foundation).

  Here things may be tricky if we want to avoid conflicts amongst
  developers (e.g. two devs working at the same issue, or when it is
  not clear which is the "right" solution", also complex issues
  usually require much work which may be shared amongst several
  developers), so we have to consider if the cons prevail over the
  pros.

  (Another consideration is that bug-funding may lead to more bugs.)

  And to make more fun we should accept not only money but whatever
  the donor like (e.g. a postcard, a peluche, some HW, a box of
  special beer, potatoes, whatever but possibly not illegal.)

Comments are welcome.
--
FFmpeg = Fascinating and Frightening Mastodontic Prodigious Efficient Gadget