[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH] New metadata conversion API

Anton Khirnov anton
Sat Oct 9 21:31:05 CEST 2010

Before this thread falls into oblivion again, could I please hear
everybody's opinion on how should we fix metadata conversion? (that's
mainly Michael, Aurelien and Baptiste; of course anybody else is welcome
to comment as well)

So far the proposals are:
1) Modify the conversion API to fix its problems. This involves adding
an AVMetadataConv field to AVMetadata to track current format, changing
the conversion function to work on a single AVMetadata instead of the
whole AVFormatContext (there's at least one bug in ffmpeg.c related to
this) and also adding callbacks to conversion tables, since we have to
do advanced stuff like splitting/merging tags during the conversion
step.
This is what my first patchset in this thread does.

2) Remove the public conversion API completely. Only generic metadata
format will be exported by demuxers/expected by muxers. This is
somewhat simpler than 1), since advanced conversion can be done directly
in (de)muxers. However the users can't access metadata in the native
format.
This is what my second patchset in this thread does.

2a) Same as 2), but export both metadata sets.
2b) Same as 2), but add an AVOption to choose native format.

3) ????

I am in favor of 2), since IMO accessing native format isn't ever really
needed. We can later switch to 2b if users start complaining.

--
Anton Khirnov