[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libavfilter and libmpcodecs

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sun Oct 10 12:22:06 CEST 2010

On date Saturday 2010-10-09 23:11:53 -0400, compn encoded:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 20:54:59 +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> >I also want to know about what the MPlayer guys plans are. Are they
> >going to drop libmpcodecs and use libavfilter instead? In this case I
> >believe it makes no sense to write a wrapper which will be dropped
> >anyway.
>
> mplayer plans are to wait for patch to support libavfilter. i cant
> speak for the two active developers who work on filters (michael,
> reimar). but we will drop it only if avfilter is faster, better, less
> buggy, and superior in every way.

I believe that was already discussed when we choose to have an
alternative implementation rather than to move libmpcodecs to
FFmpeg. I suppose the main reasons were a better PTS handling system,
non linear filter chain, transmedia filtering.

One of the further reason today is that libavfilter has a consistent
testing framework integrated in FFmpeg.

[...]

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Forgiving and Free MultiPurpose Elastic God