[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libavfilter and libmpcodecs

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Oct 10 14:37:54 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:46:35PM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 11:11:53PM -0400, compn wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 20:54:59 +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > >I also want to know about what the MPlayer guys plans are. Are they
> > >going to drop libmpcodecs and use libavfilter instead? In this case I
> > >believe it makes no sense to write a wrapper which will be dropped
> > >anyway.
> >
> > mplayer plans are to wait for patch to support libavfilter. i cant
> > speak for the two active developers who work on filters (michael,
> > reimar). but we will drop it only if avfilter is faster, better, less
> > buggy, and superior in every way. i think its better to have a
> > wrapper, depending how hard it is to implement.
>
> A wrapper is an absolute must as a first step, particularly since
> it will take some time until all filters are ported, assuming that
> even ever happens.

seconded

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf