[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH 0/8] ffmpeg: add tidsp hwaccel support to avcodec

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras
Wed Sep 8 10:36:31 CEST 2010

2010/9/8 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>:
> Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> writes:
>> ?libavcodec/tidsp_mpeg4.c ? ? ?| ?157 ++++++
> I dislike the "tidsp" name. ?This patch is for one specific, and
> mostly obsolete, interface to the DSP. ?It is like calling MPEG4 ASP
> "the codec".

As I pointed out in the mail:

The linux kernel driver is called tidspbridge, you might dislike that
name, but that's it's name, and it's the only real requirement from
this code. "bridge" denominates the communication MPU <-> DSP, so the
only logical name for the whole system is tidsp.

It is far from obsolete, in fact, it's the *only* interface TI (or
anyone) is pushing to merge into upstream, and it's the only that has
reached the "staging" status.

You can read more in the dsp clarification page[1]. dsp-link is dead;
TI will not be pushing it upstream or do any reviewing or cleaning up.
dsp-gateway is dead; Nokia is not interested on it any more, and
nobody from the community has picked it up.

So for all intends and purposes, tidspbridge is the only interface;
the only one actively maintained, the only one with a shot getting
upstream, and the only one shipped on consumer products, current and

[1] http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/DSP_Clarification

Felipe Contreras