[FFmpeg-devel] merged FFmpeg/libswscale git repository

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Thu Sep 16 18:52:18 CEST 2010

On date Thursday 2010-09-16 18:12:07 +0200, Janne Grunau encoded:
> Hi,
>
> As preparatory step for a full conversion to git I've created a script
> to interleave the FFmpeg and libswscale repositories and fix a couple
> issues in the repository. The resulting repository looks like libswscale/
> (or postproc/ before the rename in 2006) was always part of FFmpeg.
>
> The most serious issue is the bogus history of libavcodec/libpostproc
> before it was moved there on Fri Feb 14 21:27:25 2003 +0000. I suspect
> the rcs files were copied from the mplayer repo to the FFmpeg cvs repo.
> The script removes all changes to libavcodec/libpostproc prior to the
> move and redoes the move properly from postproc/ to
> libavcodec/libpostproc/. This is done to avoid identical commits to
> different locations in the final repository.
>
> The other issue fixed by the script is to change all commits of each
> person to a single username.
>
> The tree is hosted under
> http://git.jannau.net/git/FFmpeg.swscale/

That's a great news, should hopefully fix one of the long term
problems which affected the FFmpeg repo.

> It is not stable, I'll rewrite the master branch other fixing other
> issues.
>
> The script is here:
> http://git.jannau.net/git/FFmpeg.git.convert/tree/merge_FFmpeg_libswscale_git.sh?id=HEAD
>
> Everybody who wants to be listed in the git history with his/her full
> name and email should say so. The script can be easily extended to write
> the full name and email.
> One issue we might want to fix is to correctly annotate commits with
> patch by: to the correct author. Since git has also comitter annotation
> the information who committed something is not lost. I have no idea if
> this can be automated enough to make it feasible.

On the other hand that's a lot of work (picking the thousands of
contributed commits, de-obfuscate the mail addresses and put the
correct one), so I'm not sure it is really worth the trouble (unless
there is someone which enjoys to do that work).

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Faithless and Fierce Maxi Purposeless Elaborated Game