[FFmpeg-devel] GSOC 2011 politics

shahriman AMS shahriman_ams at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 30 09:19:55 CEST 2011

Hi Michael,

Your mail dispirited me. I have been accepted for GSoC 2011 and yes, I have never in the past worked for Libav or FFmpeg. But GSoC is for students, not veteran developers. I have talked to a number of current FFmpeg / Libav developers (and at least one x264 developer) who came in through GSoC. I have finished my task which was open to all - anyone who wanted to have a shot, could have had a shot.

And getting accepted is not the end. If one does not finish the project, he will not get anything (and possibly blow any future chance in GSoC). So if you are aggrieved, you could have kept it to yourself until the program ends. Then the numbers of projects finished against the number of projects accepted would have served to support/refute your argument.

I respect you for your huge experience. I might never match your contribution to FFmpeg. But I really don't see any point to sending your complaints to a public mailing list.

Regards,
shahriman