[FFmpeg-devel] FFMPEG extension OpenCL

madshi madshi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 10:18:57 CET 2011

2011/12/10 Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>
> However I think there is OpenCL/OpenGL interoperability
> that would mean no extra copying.

Interop can't do magic. If you want a PCIe GPU to do the work,
all the data must go through the PCIe bus at least twice. And
some GPU drivers are optimized for that much better (NVidia)
than others (AMD).

> And lastly APUs that would not need copying were mentioned.

True.

> Some scale filters can easily do these at the same time
> and I think they can give better results than separate scale
> and sharpening.

I strongly disagree. I've implemented lots of image/video scaling
algorithms and none of them were any good at noise reduction
or sharpening. At least not compared to what a dedicated
algorithm can do.

> though they may be rather tired of most mentioning "GPU"
> and "encoding" disappearing rather quickly after actually
> trying to get something working.

Haha!  :-)

Best regards, Mathias.