[FFmpeg-devel] Output image filename pattern

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Dec 17 21:36:38 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 03:09:08PM +0200, Yuval Adam wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm using this command to extract key frames from a video clip:
>
> ffmpeg -i movie.avi -vf select="eq(pict_type\,I)" -vsync 0 -an -y
> frame_%03d.jpg
>
> This yields each frame with its sequential frame count.
> After thoroughly searching the docs, I failed to find an option to include
> the frames timestamp in the output filename (i.e. frame_145_01:23:45.jpg).
> Is there any way this can be achieved?
> If this isn't possible, I'd appreciate a pointer to the relevant code so I
> can propose a patch for this.

write_packet() in libavformat/img2.c
the timestamp is in pkt->pts

If you have further questions, just ask ...
also patches to improve our documentation are welcome if you have ideas
on how to improve it

Frequently ignored awnser#1 FFmpeg bugs should be sent to our bugtracker. User
questions about the command line tools should be sent to the ffmpeg-user ML.
And questions about how to use libav* should be sent to the libav-user ML.