[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Getting options from the file name

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Dec 29 20:59:52 CET 2011

Le nonidi 9 nivôse, an CCXX, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> The problem is not just now, but also in the future.

Indeed.

> For example a sensible option I could see us want is whether to follow
> redirects (whether on stream or demuxer level).

That is a convincing example.

But we have a conundrum here, because for one protocol options can already
be set from the URL, as Michael pointed out, and for two, applications that
accept options from untrusted source will certainly exist, and probably do
already, because options are necessary for some formats or devices.

In other words, even if we consider my proposal withdrawn, the problem you
raised is still present: how applications can know that frame_size or
sample_rate are harmless options while allow_shell is not?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George