[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] The Big Bump

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Feb 3 19:40:07 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 06:46:34PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Thursday 2011-02-03 16:35:31 +0100, Anton Khirnov encoded:
> > Hi,
> > it's been suggested on IRC that we've accumulated enough new APIs and
> > the associated cruft so the time to bump major for lavf and lavc is
> > nigh. We should definitely do that before 0.7.
> >
> > The following patch series bumps lavf and lavc and removes all the
> > deprecated stuff (though i certainly don't expect it to be applied right
> > now as is). The diffstat looks pretty nice, removing over a thousand
> > LOC.
> >
> > Please comment.
>
> There is currently a problem with lavu error codes, AVERROR(EINVAL)
> and AVERROR_INVALIDDATA share the same code, I proposed sometime ago
> to bump lavu and all the rest of the libav* libraries, at the time the
> idea was rejected, I wonder if this is a good occasion for doing it.

maybe but you should discuss this with users of the libs, theres some chance
things like this might cause a chain reaction of soname bumps througout libs
and i mean more than you listed

And i think it might be possible to fix things like this in a less disruptive
way
That is introducing a new error code and switching to that gradually deprecating
the old and then eventually droping it

> This would require to bump all the major numbers (lavu, lavc, lavf,
> lavfi, lavdev, lavcore, lsws), check which option you prefer:
> * we don't care
> * it's overkill
> * can be delayed more
> * can be done now

IMHO as proposed "it's overkill"  but thats just my oppinion

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates