[FFmpeg-devel] Compromise

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Sat Feb 5 01:17:17 CET 2011

On 02/04/2011 03:08 PM, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 3:52 AM, Nicolas George
> <nicolas.george at normalesup.org>  wrote:
>> It would be nice if each one of the commiters could take time to answer,
>> point by point, to these conditions and tell if he thinks them acceptable,
>> and if not, why.
>
> Disclaimer: I only speak for myself.

> Unacceptable. I think they do a good job. You can't scapegoat the
> roots for what happened.

Why is this unacceptable ? IMHO doing a good job is necessary but not
enough.

> Reimar&  Baptiste: can certainly be discussed, I'm in favour of it
> under certain conditions.

Can you please clarify ?

> Stefano: that has come up before, Stefano's work may benefit from
> being in a separate topic branch.
> Michael: I see too much hostility to consider that an option, for now.

> I commit patches. I'm not an expert in every field but try to be
> helpful in reviews and depend on experts in particular fields to tell
> me what's right. I take responsibility for the patches that I commit,
> and I feel responsible for making sure that FFmpeg as a project floats
> in a direction that I feel is good for the project.

I though committing was only a burden ?
 From what you say, this definitely has a huge impact on what goes in
and what does not goes in.

If you do not agree but a maintainer agrees with the patch, the patch
_must_ go in whether you agree or not. This is why, IMHO you should not
feel responsible for the patches you apply.

Ideally, the codereview tool should apply the patches itself once they
pass compilation and fate and/or regression suite.

> I almost always consider file maintainers more expert than me. But I
> will speak up when I think they're wrong, or stuff is unclear. I
> depend on them for their expertise, but I am co-responsible for
> patches I commit for developers, and so I want to be comfortable with
> committing whatever patch I commit.

IMHO you should not.

> I don't think my goals ever changed: make FFmpeg flourish, by being
> used by people and projects (Chrome, Youtube, iPhone apps, VLC,
> you-name-it).

I don't think that is true, and you know why, but let's not start
another flamewar.

--
Baptiste COUDURIER