[FFmpeg-devel] deinterlace only if input is interlaced

Alexander Strange astrange
Sat Feb 5 10:01:51 CET 2011

On Feb 5, 2011, at 3:38 AM, j at v2v.cc wrote:

> using ffmpeg with a wide range of inputs to convert to a format that
> does not support interlacing, there is currently no way to automatically
> deinterlace if it was flagged as interlaced in the input.
> attached patch adds an option -autodeinterlace to only deinterlace if
> the input is interlaced.
>
> related to that, currently its not possible to see if an input is
> interlaced from AVCodecContext, but one needs AVPicture. What would be
> the best way to detect/display if an input is interlaced in a tool like
> ffprobe?

interlaced_frame can be very inaccurate, because a lot of progressive streams are encoded interlaced.

Consider using -vf yadif instead (needs --enable-gpl); it's much better at deinterlacing.

ffprobe would need to decode the video (which would be useful to print the AVFrame fields), I can't say if running crop detection or combing detection after that is really in its scope.