[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Equality and leader team

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sat Feb 5 13:45:21 CET 2011

On date Saturday 2011-02-05 12:31:25 +0100, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
[...]
> Because of all these, iam starting a simple vote that is targeted to fix the
> worst of it with the smallest change that appears to me sufficient.
> The worst is that many people leave ffmpeg entirely. And i myself would have
> done that too had i not been offered money for future work on ffmpeg.
>

> * Disband the leader team of 7 and return commit and decission power to all
>   developers.
>
> Y Yes
> N No
>
> Id like to emphasize that Y returns the power to all developers NOT return
> any leader power to me.
> I also repeat that this is not about changing the system, this vote is just
> about removing an un-equality amongth the developers, it says nothing about
> which system developers would experiment with, change to or finally keep.
>
> All ffmpeg developers, aka everyone who had a svn write account can vote.
> The vote ends when there are no new votes received for a period of 7 days.

My vote is: Yes.

It means: no leader and no privileged developers. I'm not against a
limited committers team, once it is clear which rules govern their
election.

Administration of the core services (webserver and git official repo)
should be possibly hold by some neutral professionists payed by the
foundation.

Changes may be gradual (e.g. we could keep the current organisation
and let it evolve as we elaborate and define democratically the new
policy).
--
FFmpeg = Fierce & Faithless Maxi Philosofic Elegant Governor