[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Equality and leader team

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Feb 5 17:31:26 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 05:47:18PM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > It was said the new system is similar to the linux kernel, but really it has
> > nothing to do with it. Linus and Andrew have not been locked out of the
> > process by 7 of their friends and asked to send patches.
>
> This shows you have absolutely no idea how linux development works.
>

> Andrew Morton sends all his patches:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/57767
>
> In fact, he has to, because nor he, nor anybody else has commit access
> to Linus's tree, but Linus. That's the whole point of a *distributed*
> DSCM; every person has his own repo. But according to your definition,
> Linus has evilly locked out all kernel developers and maintainers.

nope, linus is the most qualified and it makes alot of sense that he is the
gatekeeper, what we have here is different, the 7 barely know maybe 1/3 of
the code. Iam alone the author of 1/3 and know alot more.

> In fact Linus sends his own patches too:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/176588
>
> Not only does he sends his patches, but he himself doesn't trust his
> own patches on subsystem X, it's the duty of the maintainer of
> subsystem X to pick and acknowledge the patch, and then send the pull
> request to Linus with the patches of many people including Linus
> himself.

Absolutely and 100% agree, I also send patches and want to send patches where
iam not the maintainer, the guy who knows the code must look at my patch and
check its ok. The terms ans structuring is different in linux and ffmpeg but
the idea WAS the same.
But the new maintainers are not maintainers in the sense of knowing the code.
The actual people who know the code have been completely locked out, they dont
even have private repositories left where they can commit or where they could
work together. For example 2 people wanting to work on the mpeg audio decoder
have to send patches to be approved by the 7 (none of them knows mpeg audio)
The maintainer of mpeg audio (yeah me too, i did alot) is locked out of the
process. That simply is not the linux development model

And besides the leader team rejects features based on philosophical ideas like
code coming from mplayer is rejected. My repo has 3 times as many video filters
as a result they refuse to accept the patch. This also is NOT how linux works
they havnt thrown 2/3 of the drivers out because of some philosophical code
ancestry reasons.

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into
despotisms. -- Aristotle