[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Equality and leader team

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras
Sat Feb 5 20:34:34 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 05:47:18PM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>> > It was said the new system is similar to the linux kernel, but really it has
>> > nothing to do with it. Linus and Andrew have not been locked out of the
>> > process by 7 of their friends and asked to send patches.
>>
>> This shows you have absolutely no idea how linux development works.
>>

>> Andrew Morton sends all his patches:
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/57767
>>
>> In fact, he has to, because nor he, nor anybody else has commit access
>> to Linus's tree, but Linus. That's the whole point of a *distributed*
>> DSCM; every person has his own repo. But according to your definition,
>> Linus has evilly locked out all kernel developers and maintainers.
>
> nope, linus is the most qualified and it makes alot of sense that he is the
> gatekeeper, what we have here is different, the 7 barely know maybe 1/3 of
> the code. Iam alone the author of 1/3 and know alot more.

And this statement is bogus, this is what git blame returns:

<darkshikari at gmail.com>	0.85%
<pross at xvid.org>	1.04%
<martin at martin.st>	1.14%
<alex.converse at gmail.com>	1.28%
<lorenm at u.washington.edu>	1.32%
<justin.ruggles at gmail.com>	1.43%
<lessen42 at gmail.com>	1.45%
<ramiro.polla at gmail.com>	1.48%
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>	1.99%
<aurel at gnuage.org>	2.19%
<baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com>	2.66%
<stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it>	3.09%
<rsbultje at gmail.com>	3.26%
<mike at multimedia.cx>	3.90%
<vitor1001 at gmail.com>	4.41%
<fabrice at bellard.org>	6.03%
<kostya.shishkov at gmail.com>	6.10%
<diego at biurrun.de>	10.49%
<mans at mansr.com>	10.96%
<michaelni at gmx.at>	14.68%

That's 80% of the current code, and that's considering that the
numbers is not about authorship, but committership.

--
Felipe Contreras