[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] mailing-list etiquette

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Tue Feb 8 06:58:21 CET 2011

On Mo, Feb 07, 2011 at 23:01:38 (CET), Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 10:44:41PM +0100, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
>> Hi, we've had no rules/guidelines for the FF* mailing-lists. I suggest
>> we add this:
>> * Personal insults can result in unsubscribe/moderation/ban.
>> * Disruption of service can result in unsubscribe/moderation/ban.
>> I will send a patch adding this to the homepage in a few days.

> But if this is implemented against my objection then i have the following
> comments:
> * All unsubscribes, moderation and bans are publically announced and publically

>   justified with public statement of who and why is requesting it.
> * The person being unsubscribed/... is given a chance to defend himself

-1, in many (current) cases this won't help to deescalate the
situation. The defending does not need to happen in public, such matters
are better handled in private, IMO.

Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4