[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Equality and leader team

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Feb 9 18:39:24 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 11:27:07AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 11:15:44AM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Reimar D?ffinger
> > <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll repeat it again: this is ridiculous. There are vast areas of FFmpeg
> > > with 0 to 1 devs with knowledge. This makes maintaining these parts
> > > _impossible_!!
> >
> > You don't have to have prior knowledge on the area to Ack a patch. It
> > is highly preferable, but if there's nobody else, just some basic
> > sanity checks should do it. Hopefully in the process of ack'ing a
> > patch, the developer would take the task try to understand the code
> > before doing so, and that's always good.
>
> Thanks for (once again) stating clearly what seemed obvious to me/us.

WTF? Do you people even read the previous mails?
The mail I replied to specifically said "dev with knowledge in the area",
and I said that's not going to work.
Then coming and saying "you're wrong, <completely other thing> will work
just fine" is just complete nonsense.

> The new review policy is not designed to facilitate denial of service
> attacks against development progress.  Every change should get a set
> of qualified eyes that verify it.  This should be done on a best-effort
> basis for a reasonable definition of qualified.

And this doesn't answer as WTF one is supposed to do when simply nobody reviews
the patches.